By now you’ve probably seen video of the “weapon snatcher” in Seattle; a former Marine doing close protection for local media (@_shooter_rughi_ on Instagram) drew down on one of the rioters. That no doubt “mostly peaceful protester” had just pulled a police rifle from an abandoned SPD vehicle (read, stolen or looted, if you prefer that to pulled). When he drug iron, he did so from a concealed carry backpack: specifically, a Vertx sling bag. More specifically, a Vertx Commuter sling bag.
More specifically yet, he’s using the Vertx Commuter Sling 2.0: https://vertx.com/commuter-sling-2-0 (and if you’re gonna buy one, use our code to do it: BreachBangVTX, getcha 25% off).
The Vertx Commuter Sling 2.0 (which as of this writing has a 4.6 outta 5 rating on Amazon, and equally good or better review elsewhere), is an excellent option for off-body carry. If you’re into that sorta thing. We can say that with some authority since several of our crew have used it or other Vertx bags similar t it.
Here’s a look at “@heybminus” (his Instagram handle) drawing from a Vertx Commuter Sling.
That’s a pretty good demonstration of a couple of the Commuter Sling’s pertinent features, to wit:
- Rifle-compatible concealed carry platform with loop lining, a sling attachment point, and a Rapid Access Pull tab
- Concealed carry platform accepts ballistic panels
- CCW compartment has retention G-hooks to prevent unintended opening when accessing gear
We’ll explain more features below.
Vertx Commuter Sling 2.0
The updated version of this VERTX EDC backpack is just slightly wider in the rear weapon compartment than its predecessor to better accommodate folding weapon systems (and other things). Specs are as follows:
• Outside dimensions 20 in. high x 12.5 in. wide x 6 in. deep.
• Concealed carry compartment dimensions 20 in. high x 11.5 in. wide x 2.5 in. deep, with 10 in. diagonal length.
• Main compartment dimensions: 19.5 in. high, x 12.5 in. wide x 3.5 in. deep x 20.5 in. diagonal length.
• Overall capacity 17 liters.
• Weight 2.3 lbs.
The bag is available in several colors. Most recently (as of this writing) those include “Drop Off/All the Blue”, “Heather Black/It’s Black”, and “It’s Black/Mustard Grass”.
- Convertible front flap stows behind loop-faced MOLLE webbing panel to provide ready access to items mounted there and to rapidly change the bag’s appearance
- Snaps on front flap zipper pulls prevent accidental opening and G-hook straps enable front flap to convert to a sling for larger items
- Main compartment has an adjustable laptop retention strap, zippered pocket with key lanyard, four gear slots and large loop panel for Tactigami™ and other hook and loop-compatible accessories
- 3-D molded foam back panel enhances airflow and comfort and has a pass-through for rolling luggage handles
- Multiple strategically-located and Tactigami™-compatible loop panels
- Adjustable padded shoulder strap with 1919 webbing attachment points for accessories
- Adjustable waist belt can be concealed comfortably behind the molded back panel when not it use
- Hydration bladder compatible
- Front compartment opens wide to easily load and access gear
- Light-colored interior improves interior visibility
- Padded satchel-style side carry handle
- Loop ID patch at bottom of front panel
- Accommodates up to 15” laptop
Wondering about throwing your folded rifle in there?
“We’ve had a ton of questions this week about what rifle will fit which bag, so we’ll take the opportunity to sort this out. Start by measuring the weapon system folded, head over to Vertx.com to the bag pages. Measurements are on all pages for reference. The smallest bag a rifle generally fits in is the Ready Pack at 19 in. The Gamut will fit 20 in. and under, the Checkpoint 22 in. and under, and finally the Overland at 25 in. and under. Longbois can fit in the Commuter XL at 27 in. and under. Subguns generally are meant for the Commuter, Transit, and Dead Letter slings.”
Some other places where you can buy one (all these use our affiliate links).
VCS2.0 at Palmetto State Armory
VCS2.0 at Natchez Shooters Supply
Vertx “Concealed Carry Backpack”
Lookin’ for more? Here’s a rundown of the first version (pretty much all of which is still pertinent).
You can also find reviews on Black Sheep Warrior or SOFREP.