The SIG Romeo M17 is a red dot sight (RDS) from SIG Electro-Optics, designed specifically for the M17/M18 handguns that replaced the US military’s Beretta M9 in 2017. It was first revealed by SIG SAUER at SHOT Show 2023 and subsequently received a National Stock Number (NSN) in October.
The RM17 is a coyote tan, enclosed optic with a 2 MOA reticle, 32 MOA circle, and no (i.e. 1x) magnification. Sight adjustment increments are 1.5 MOA and it features 12 daylight and 3 nightvision illumination settings. Power is provided by a single CR2032 battery.
Romeo M17 for Sale
SIG’s military-issue red dot is a fully enclosed, gas-purged red dot reflex sight with a glass aspheric lens. Likely more important to sharp-end users, it features a flexure-arm adjustment system. The flexure arm is made of beryllium copper and is used in place of springs − this increases durability and also lowers the optic’s deck for better co-witness with regular pistol sights.
Ten things to know about the SIG Romeo-M17 red dot sight reflex optic.
1. It utilizes independent brightness adjustment buttons
2. Adjustment buttons are recessed within a protective plate and can be manipulated with gloves on
3. The battery is side-mounted with a threaded battery cap so you can swap batteries without removing the optic
4. Mounting to the handgun is done with the SIG-LOC mounting system
5. Mounting is done from beneath the pistol slide, utilizing the rear sight block and sight block screw.
6. The optic uses MAGNETAC, which turns it off when the weapon is holstered.
7. It utilizes MOTAC to complement MAGNETAC. MOTAC is SIG’s motion-sensing technology
8. It features D.A.R.C. lens technology for use with night vision devices
9. Run time is advised to be 20k hours at a medium brightness setting.
10. There are two drain holes machined in the housing; this allows liquid to escape when the pistol goes from vertical (i.e. holstered) to horizontal (i.e. extended after the draw)
MAGNETAC: Learn more
MOTAC: Learn More
D.A.R.C. Tech: Learn more
Among the most important of the M17 red dot’s various features to note before you go out and buy one is #4 from above: the use of the SIG-LOC mounting information. This is significant because of interface and fitment.
The ROMEO-M17 pistol optic will only fit M17/M18 military issue and SIG commemorative/special-edition pistols with a single optics plate mounting screw.
It might fit other pistols, but SIG “officially” advises there is no compatibility with other pistols.
SIG-LOC: Learn more
- Objective Lens Diameter: 24mm
- Reticle: Circle dot with 2 MOA Red Dot / 32 MOA Circle
- Lens Type: Asphere
- Brightness Adjustment Settings: 15 (12 Day / 3 Night Vision)
- Water Resistance: Submersible to 20 meters
- Overall Length: 2.4 inches
- Overall Width: 0.9 inches
- Overall Height: 1.1 inches
- Mounting Footprint: SIG-LOC MHS
- Battery Type: CR2032
- Battery Location: Side
- Weight (w/o battery): 1.5 ounces
- Why a flexure mount matters.
- Modular Handgun System program/competition
- Learn more about SIG optics technology
⚠️ Some hyperlinks in this article may contain affiliate links. If you use them to make a purchase, we will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. It’s just one way to Back the Bang. #backthebang
EDITOR SIG Romeo M17 red dot